Taking Stock of Your Flock
Purposeful Pathway is the haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is taking stock of your flock!
Spring has sprung here in the beautiful Berkshires, and I am beyond grateful for this blissful time of year! The songs of birds are among the many treasures of springtime. I have found the observation of birds to be more and more interesting. True to the adage, “birds of a feather flock together.” Like-feathered birds provide companionship as well as instruction. They sing to each other about opportunities for finding food and shelter; in the midst of their work, they orchestrate beautiful music. How about us? Are we surrounding ourselves with people who bring out the best in us? The people who inspire us to be all we can be for God’s glory? In that “birds of a feather flock together,” it is wise for us to periodically take stock of our flock.
How exactly do we take stock of our flock for better business? Let’s explore five ways:
- Inventory. Take an inventory of those with whom you spend time both personally and professionally. This list may seem obvious, but it is helpful to take the time to write the list. You may find valuable insights and inspirations as you write. Perhaps, for example, your list is heavily weighted with professional colleagues but few personal friends (or vice versa).
- Investigate. Assess how you feel about and what fruit has been borne from spending time with these various individuals or groups. Jesus calls us to love others as He loves us (John 13:34); that being said, we must remember that “bad company corrupts good morals.” (1 Corinthians 15:33) So, from a space of love, evaluate the results of being with certain people. For example, do you feel uplifted, motivated and inspired when you spend time with a certain person? Or, on the other hand, do you feel drained, resentful or prone to complain? Evaluate honestly and prayerfully.
- Inquire. Once you have written your list, inquire of God how you can improve in your relationships. Seek God’s guidance regarding where to spend more time and where to spend less. “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” (James 1:5) Sometimes we have no choice but to remain in a challenging relationship; it may be, ultimately, for God’s glory and our growth. Oftentimes, however, our feelings of being drained, deflated or distracted are red flags of less-than-healthy dynamics.
- Invite. With careful prayer and consideration, choose to channel less energy into relationships that bear little God-glorifying fruit and more energy into those that do. Life and relationships are constantly in flux; God may lead you away from one person during a season and lead you back in another season. Trust His wisdom and follow His lead…even if He reveals only one step at a time. “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” (Psalm 119:105)
- Inspire. Having taken stock of your flock and having surrounded yourself with those who inspire you, choose to inspire all who are around you. “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17) Show gratitude to those who inspire you, and – most importantly – lift love, praise and gratitude to Our Father who shines through them (and you).
“Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” (Proverbs 13:20) I encourage you to take stock of your flock in order to increase your wisdom, boost your business and deepen your joy.
If you need help with taking stock of your flock or with building your business overall, I invite you to attract your ideal clients and powerfully boost your business over the next 40 days! There is no need to reinvent the wheel. I have organized my knowledge and experiences in business into an implementable 40-day series of actionable daily steps, instructional videos and powerful worksheets. If you need a serious boost in business, I encourage you to take the next step by visiting Purposeful Pathway Business Academy today!
Let’s Pray: Faithful Father, Savior and Shepherd, so thankful we are to be a part of Your flock. So happy we are to be a part of Your Heavenly Family. Help us, O Lord, to surround ourselves with the people who will inspire us to best serve You and others. Guide us to those who will bring out the best in us for Your glory. We love you with every fiber of our beings, every moment of every day, every step of the pathway…and it is in Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen.
I Treasure Your Thoughts and Comments!