The Fun Factor
7 Steps for Fruitful Fun
Purposeful Pathway is a haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is the fun factor!
As faith-based entrepreneurs we often go into business with glorious visions of serving God and blessing others while enjoying fun and freedom. We follow this blissful spiritual lead…as though walking on air! Yet the day-in and day-out of business can deflate this delight. Disappointments can cause us to question. Tight schedules can sap our joy. So, unlike the fun-shining horizon for which we set out, we can grow weary with laborious lists and “to-do treadmills.” Yes, the very thing which was meant to provide freedom can itself become a burden.
On a spiritual level we know that it is possible to serve God with grace and balance, yet too often we experience the “no pain, no gain” mentality. Now I wholeheartedly agree there is a benefit to suffering: joy blossoms from tears, as “those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy.” (Psalm 126:5) Crowns spring forth from crosses, and triumphs emerge from trials. God indeed uses the pain of this world to create gain for us. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28)
Yet the essence of our existence is not suffering. Our all-loving Creator did not create us to suffer. Our Divine Daddy created us to be in joyful union with Him. And, as Christians, we are no longer under the curse. “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, ‘CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE’—in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.” (Galatians 3:13-14) Indeed Jesus promises us that His “yoke is easy and [His] burden is light.” (Matthew 11:30) Yes, in this life we will encounter suffering, but we need not add to ourselves a burden by embracing a belief that there is no gain without pain.
If we are aligned with God, our fun is fruitful! “Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalm 37:4)
How can we practically apply this concept of fruitful fun in our faith-based businesses? How can we release the no-pain-no-gain mentality to further our fun while simultaneously boosting the bottom line?
- Commit to having more fun. Choose to believe that having fun is important. If you see having fun as a trivial afterthought, you will not go out of your way to have fun. Choose to view having fun in your business as a component just as important as your highly-focused business-generating and client-attracting activities. After all, having fun is the window by which we connect to the truest bliss of being human, to the joy of being loved by God, to the beauty of being who we are. Our fruitful fun allows our creativity to blossom in Christ.
- Ask yourself often “am I having fun now?” Whenever you are engaged in a task ask yourself if you are having fun. For example: when you are writing, are you having fun? If not, how can you make it fun? Take your writing outdoors? Write about different topics? In a different tone? In a different genre? Is writing simply not fun for you no matter what you do? If so, how can you outsource or delegate it? In all your business tasks, ask “am I having fun?” and choose to heighten the fun factor.
- Schedule fun in every one. While you are heightening the fun factor in every activity, also add a pure fun block to your every day. Do something you simply love, something that brings out your fun-loving, God-loving child. “And he said: ‘Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.’” (Matthew 18:3) Is your fun watching the clouds? Sitting in the sun? Singing? Writing? Walking in nature? Taking a scenic drive? Basking in a bubble bath? Playing freely with your children? Picking blueberries? I realize that some of our fun activities may be easier to incorporate during one season versus another. But the seasonal changes provide all the more opportunity for being creative. Do you dread winter? Take up a winter sport like ice-skating or skiing. Make snow angels again. Bake something that will fill your home with a sweet and heartwarming aroma. Choose to make the process of determining your fun activities a fun activity in itself!
- Be caring by sharing. Share your fruitful fun with many! Invite others to join you in your fun activities. Bless others with the wisdom you garner from your fruitful fun. Smile more, laugh more and rejoice more. You will find that everyone has more fun when you do!
- Capture your creativity. Enriching your days with fun will naturally boost your creative juices. Keep a notepad near you at all times so you can capture your creative thoughts while you are out and about. Are you on a nature trail and sensing a poetic line? Write it down. Are you taking a scenic drive and experiencing a great aha-moment to share with your following? Pull over and write it down. You can transfer your quickly-written notes to a more formal journal later in the day; at that point you can expand or explore the ideas. By capturing your creativity in a notepad, you will make your fun all the more fruitful.
- Track the fruit of your fun. Having fun bears fruit, and this step will prove just that! Journal specifically how and when you have heightened your fun; journal also specifically how and when you started to bear the fruit of your fun.
- Smile in Sonshine! While you are enjoying fruitful fun, be sure to give glory to God and to smile in His Sonshine! Surely our Father is the Source of fun. Thank Him for the beautiful blessings He bestows!
I am excited for you as you enjoy the fruit of your fun!
If you need help in upping the fun factor in your business, I would be happy to help in this powerful process. I offer to you a complimentary “Boost my Business” session. You will walk away with clarity, renewed vision and a completely customized clear-cut next-step action plan. Simply email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time or click here.
Let’s pray. Heavenly Father, thank You so much for creating us to be in joyful union with You. Thank you, Divine Daddy, for transforming our pains to precious joy. Thank You also for allowing us to bear fruit from those very things we find fun. We delight in You, and we desire to bear fruit for Your glory. Help us to add more fun to our lives that we may bear more fruit for You. We love You with all our hearts, souls, minds and strength. It’s in Jesus’ Name that we pray. Amen.